Thursday, December 28, 2006

God's Own Country???

A friday evening is always a pleasant time. But it was not so that friday evening during my training days. Our postings were out. I saw the list and was shell shocked. I had been posted to Trivandrum. I just sat there not knowing what to do. Tried to find someone who could swap locations with me but even ppl from there were not willing to. That made me even more skeptical about the place. After a lot of convincing myself and with no option left I moved to Trivandrum to start off my career...

First Impression!

I have been used to being in big cities with life moving at frantic pace. This place did not have any characteristics of a big city - no much traffic, not many signal lights, not many huge roads, no pollution. My first impression was that of a big town. Life is so different from what I am used to. I get out of home at 8 in the night to see all the shops closed. I get to the city on a weekend and all is closed. During my first week here there was some sort of a bandh. I just got out of home to get a feel of how the place looks during a bandh - simply everything is closed, all so deserted! The freshness in the air and the greenery were so welcome. Was not really sure how things will shape up...

Shopkeepers drive me crazy!

I don't think I will ever understand the way business runs in this place. I defies all normal business logic. Customer service is not heard of. Shops are there for shop keepers not for the customers. Shops open and close like office hours! Their logic is simply this - why must I work more than a office-goer does. A couple of incidents during my interaction at the market here were beyond comprehension.

Once went to the vegetable market. My first shock - you cannot even touch the vegetables before you buy! n then - no bargaining! forget about bargaining... I bargained once and he did not agree. That's fine! I came down to his price and guess what he says - "I don't want to sell it to you"! I am like, what the hell! I go the vendor next to him and the first guy tells him not to sell. I did not know whether to get angry or laugh. I have experienced things like this last in primary school - you did not give a chocolate to my friend, so I wont talk to you!!! :-)

Second experience was even more funnier. I once went to buy banana chips(Yep, its famous out here). Asked him for 2 kilos and also told him to make packs of quarter kilo each. He made 4 packs and then said he doesn't want to do the rest! He said - I will give u 4 covers, you can make the packs or you buy just a kilo! It totally shook me! Nowhere I have seen an attitude like this from a shopkeeper. He is ready to lose one kilo worth of business, but not ready to do a bit of extra work.

Outsider!

I guess I always remained an outsider to the place. I had a tough time interacting with people in any language other than theirs. Being a vegetarian means that you virtually don't eat anything at all. I cant clap my hands in a movie theatre. I cant go to a restaurant with my family and sit quiet. Hardly seen people interact with each other. I hear that Keralites are one of the few Indians who can survive anywhere in the world. But I don't understand why the same people are so different here. The maid servant at our house doesn't want to work on Sundays. Her logic is if offices are closed, why should I be working. Sometimes I think the hotels would close for a lunch break!!!

I had my time!

Well, its not been all bad out here as well. I have had some of the best times of my life. I have had a great set of friends. I have had some of the most amazing trips and treks out here with them. I have had lots of time to spend at home and with myself - which I always wanted to do. I have had a chance to visit a lot of places out here which are simply breathtaking. I have had coffee at the best place I could think of - on top of my office building, sea at a distance and greenery all around. I have had parties in some of the best resorts out here. I have watched almost all the movies released in the past two years during the first weekend of release! Work wise its the best two years I could think of!

Signing off from here...

I am sure I will miss the place once I am out of here. But to what extent? I don't know. May be when I get struck up in Bangalore traffic. Or may be when I will struggle for time with myself. Or may be when I want to get out of the city and walk in the beach. But somethings here beat my thinking. Makes me wonder if literacy is everything! After all this is a place of one hundred per cent literacy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really a good read. The business attitude of the ppl kind of took me by surprise!Definitely its not buyers market!!Looks like its a very different kind of experience for people from busy cities like bangalore to start a living in triv. But it comes with the advantage of being able to spend weekends in few of the best places in the world!

Anonymous said...

Good One SGT - Signin Out of Triv on a muchkond Hogu - drr drr note !!! - See you on Blore on Tuesday - Will Try my best to wake up early n join you guys for Breakfast :):) - K !!

Anonymous said...

Hey,..nicely written !...At one point i felt ki i was in that place :-)..... It really needs courage to spend 2 valuable years of ur life in a place where even localites wotn prefer to stay !.... Nice job :)

badri said...

Hey buddy...

u disheartened me da.
I expected much more from u, but they way u had put it across was really good.

As said GODS OWN COUNTRY AND DEVILS OWN PEOPLE...
these ppl can do business, but they dont want to do business.
The basic idea what i feel abt them is they are satisfied with say 100 rs a day. they dont try for 200 rs. Competition lacks out here my dear friend.

These same set of ppl when travel to other place get themselves glued to the surroundings.

i guess u missed out on food etiquttes!!

When in a country like india people want to visit places and get know other cultures, u hardly find any interest these ppl show towards other culture and food.

well i dont know how much ppl wud agree to my comment. Whatever i came across all this 2 yrs i had put fwd.

Anonymous said...

truly gods very own ..the best places to be on a relaxin holiday..
welcome back to where you belong catch you on your wedding ale ale #

Naveen Chinthakunta said...

Thanks all for the comments...

@Roopa - yeah every city has its own goods and bads... got to experience both of them!

@K - am sure u wont wake up so early... dont promise breakfasts n all!

@KC maga - I was not in Afghanisthan! You dont need "courage" to stay in Trivandrum.

@Badri - yeah dude agree with all ur points! I have had similar expericences during my 2 yr stay. Ya I have missed out some points, I hope to read all of them on ur blog.

@hash - catch u soon dude