Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Screensaver is ON!

The worst thing to happen to me in the morning is the alarm going off. Alarm clocks have given their job to the mobile phones, but the tone remains as irritating as ever. My eyelids were a bit too lazy to open up today. Who put in the snooze functionality into these damn alarm clocks! With no option, I wake up dreading and thinking why its not a weekend. As I started to sip my cup of coffee, I look out of the window to see an empty bench in the lawn! BENCH! Suddenly I remember, I am on bench today! The realization suddenly changes everything around me. The day looks so nice all of a sudden and there is a new found josh to get to office. For ppl who dont know, being benched simply means that I dont have a project to work on. That calls for my day to be lazy as I start to get ready. A slow drive and a bit of hunt for the parking space and in the office I am!

I enter the office and as I get to swipe in, I see the receptionist giving me a warm smile. Well she must be thinking I was up late last night working and so am late to work. Not a bad picture to paint anyways! I settle at my desk and the first thing I do is obviously check mails. Send in late good morning mails to my friends. The mailing session goes on n on and its already tea time. A long tea break and time to chat and argue. We start discussing about why we are on bench. One of my friend comes up with this... "Being on bench is not bad. The company can use us if the people on project have to leave for some reason!". Well, we are not playing a game of Soccer dude! My view on it has been straight - I am getting paid as usual and no work, what more can I ask for! He still argues that we do some useful work. Both of us come to an agreement and get on to do some real useful work - Solve a Sudoku puzzle. Thats some fun! Yet another simple, small thing the Japanese has given to the world(I know there are debates on about the actual origin and I dont want one going now!).

The post tea session is all me at my desk. I have no access to the net during office hours but its always fun to find a workaround. I am amazed at the fact that we actually end up finding one always! What are the others doing as I am on bench? They are busy doing similar things as me! People have actually downloaded games onto their comps and are on it! And the PMs? Well, I just got a mail from them to join a voluntary group of people who are building some junk piece of code. They say you can improve your skills and have fun also. I shift-delete the mail to put an end to this yet another "bench-keep-busy" initiative. Its almost time to go for lunch and its a discussion where to go. My cubicle turns into a make-shift conference room as we argue over all the options we have. Finally we decide on one and off for a long lunch break. Back from lunch and I am damn sleepy. Is there a way out? Well, a place called dorm exists for people staying up late in the night and who need a nap break. I put it to the same use at a time of day surely not intended!!!

Deep in sleep, I hear somebody calling my name at a distance. Suddenly wake up to realise that I am at my desk. I dozed off with so much work on my head. I have been working day in and day out these days. Shit, I was dreaming! I see my PM(more about him sometime later!) approaching me. I try hard to keep my eyes open and not letting him know I dozed off. As he gets closer to me I make a quick resolution - No more paneer for lunch! Now I am totally off my dream as he asks me "Whats the status on the blah blah blah work item???". Hoping he hasnt seen me sleeping at my desk I answer "I am currently working on it!". He gives me a "dont give me stupid status" smile and says.... The screensaver is ON!


No comments: